STEP 1: START WITH A CLEAN WINDOWS 7 OPERATING SYSTEM
When using the snapshot method to virtualize an application, it is important to start with a clean system so that no components are missed during the capture and diff process.
The snapshot process can be performed on a virtual machine or a physical machine. Typically a virtual machine is used so that the system can easily be reset in case the process needs to be repeated.
There are many options for virtual machine software including VMWare Workstation, Oracle Virtual Box (free) and Microsoft Virtual PC.
STEP 2: SNAPSHOT THE INSTALLATION
- Install Spoon Studio
- Take a "Before" capture
- Replace the SnaphshotSettings.xml file with the attached SnapshotSettings.xml
- %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Spoon\Spoon Virtual Application Studio 2012
- Take the "Before" capture again
- Save the before snapshot
- Install Peachtree
- Do a custom install and select install location as C:\Sage\Peach (this will not impact the users.) You need to install the application to C:\Sage\Peach instead of C:\Sage\Peachtree. This is important because when the fiolder name is over 7 characters the Sage configuration files change to using ~1 in the path and this causes an issue when looking up files.
- Select Company file location to be C:\Sage\Peach\Company
- Select to run all components from the local hard drive
- Run the application but do not connect to or edit any company files
- Update and register if appropriate
- Close down the application
- Stop the services, Pervasive SQL and Peachtree SmartPosting
- Take the "Capture and Diff"
STEP 3: EDIT THE CONFIGURATION
- Backup the original configuration file by saving the configuration under a new name
- Enable "Always launch child processes as current user"
- Set the startup file to peachw.exe
- Set the output file
- Set virtual service Pervasive SQL to Auto Start
- Delete the following files:
- System Drive\Sage\Peach\Company\~PVSW~.LOC
- Delete the following folders:
- System Drive\Users
- Local Application Data\Temp
- Delete the following registry keys:
- Current user root\Software\Spoon